Sunday, September 30, 2012

664 - Kid, Plane, Again

That boy with the airplane I drew a couple of JSVB posts ago got under my skin a little.  I had drawn what I wanted, but very few of the elements in that piece were what I was hoping for.  Please click here to see the old version.  Today, I went back to the drawing board and re-rendered the boy.  Now he's more cartoony than before, and I think the new design is more appealing.
 
I made his proportions more babylike, and simplified his structure while thickening his line quality.  It's still not ideal, but it's an improvement.  If I can come way from a project and say, "I did that better today than I did yesterday," then there's a positive take-away for the session. 
 
What really helped was slowing down my drawing motion while laying down lines.  I can always tell when my drawings look rushed.  I almost always forget to slow down, though.   Maybe I will tattoo the word "SLOW" on the back of my right hand.  Sometimes, I even go so far as to wear a cotton glove on my drawing hand as a reminder to slow down; I'll have to post a picture of that on JSVB some day.