Thursday, September 13, 2012

651 - Transporter Accident


My wife and I went to the Vancouver Pacific National Exhibition, and saw the travelling Star Trek museum (could you guess?).  One highlight of the Star Trek feature was the chance to be photographed in three of the iconic sets:  the for-real chair Captain Kirk sat in, and mock-ups of the Enterprise-D bridge and the transporter room. 
 
Since the thirteenth of every month is Ungood Art Day here on JSVB, I decided to share this picture of us on the transporter.  Unfortunately, as we were beaming in, the technician spilled ra'taljno over the control console and there was an unfortunate accident just as the commemorative photo was being taken.  Believe me when I say it hurt as much as it looks.  The PNE people were very gracious to re-assemble what they could find, although there was a lot of prodding with cold tweezers for what seemed like hours.  The good news is I'm around five pounds lighter than when I started, but I don't like to think about where that extra weight went.  For our troubles, we got a couple of T-shirts, a  tribble, and a sealed Ertl die-cast metal Enterprise-A (Sequential number: 34,390, which makes this a collector's item!  Well, not a valuable one.  According to Wikipedia, every man, woman, and child currently living in the Yukon could have an Enterprise-A, and there may be a few toys left over.  I guess I'll open my toy package tomorrow.)
 
Sympatico drove my wife and I to hit the same "transporter accident" pose at the same time when the picture was being taken.  Then, my relentless effort to use every filter in Photoshop resulted in the final look of this very corny pic. 
 
By the way, Captain Kirk's chair was awesome.  It even had a phaser burn right where you would expect if someone had dropped a lit cigarette onto William Shatner's lap.  I have to believe it's a phaser burn, but I know that everyone smoked in the 1960's.  Also interesting was the Enterprise-D bridge mock-up, from Star Trek: The Next Generation.  A minor mystery is solved - why did Commander Riker never sit straight in Captain Picard's chair?  Because the chair was custom molded to fit Picard, and Jean-Luc Picard has impossibly narrow hips!  Not a comfortable chair for those of us with a larger body frame.