Sunday, March 14, 2010

69 - MacLeod Versus Mouse


Answering replies to JSVB (slowly!). 

QUERY: Have I ever read Scott MacLeod's "Understanding Comics"? 

REPLY: Not much of it.  For those who have not seen it, "Understanding Comics" is a thesis-level textbook in the form of a comic book.  There are three parts to it, now, I think.  

I'm not much of a comic book person.  I own less than ten: a couple of Frank Miller's, an old Star Wars, and a few Asterix books.  I have some textbooks by Burne Hogarth and Wil Eisner, and a collection of art books. 

I found "Understanding Comics" to be very long-winded (even by my standards) and short on practical lessons.  It's more of a sociological/philosophical approach to the comic book culture, but not very illuminating on the industry itself. 

Frank Miller and Wil Eisner are the same way: brilliant in terms of the thought that goes into comic books, shy/sly on how to place the lines or dab the ink.  I find that many, many graphic artists are like that. 

MacLeod puts emphasis on six creative steps he calls Idea/Purpose, Form, Idiom, Structure, Craft, Surface.  He believes that Idea and Form are the most important to be successful.

I disagree (which may be why I am working on JSVB instead of pulling in nine figures at Pixar...).  I feel that Craft is the most important, and is often the most neglected facet of graphic arts.  That's why I gravitate to Burne Hogarth and classical studies (although my own style and level of accomplishment is nowhere near that level - maybe in 20-40 years?).

Animators have their own "bibles", which tend to be much more practical guides to poses, layout, and line than those intended for comic book artists.  Richard Williams' "Animator's Survival Kit" is a modern classic, and then there's the magnificant "Illusion Of Life" by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston.  One of the best are the unpublished works of Walt Stanchfield, which you can find by searching the Internet.  Brad Bird also has a lot of great samizdat stuff available from when he was young, angry, and overworked on The Simpsons. 


---


Anyway, the image above shows a very rough version that might be Scott MacLeod's avatar duking it out with a perhaps-recognizable iconic mouse.  Mr. MacLeod's property is his, and so too is that of the big motion picture company, so I hope I am not ripping off stuff too blatantly.  The pose is a satirical homage to "DESTROY!", a one-off comic book by Mr. MacLeod of pure undiluted violence. Satire falls under fair use (no matter how weakly presented), so I believe I am okay as far as rights may be concerned.  If not, I will replace the picture with a pot of daisies.