Friday, January 15, 2010

15 - Haiti


On January 12, 2010, the island of Haiti was hit by a 7.0 magnitude earthquake.  It's beyond the scope of JSVB to deal with major international issues.  Even so, this news is so hard to understand.  Like probably a million other bloggers right now, I don't have any compelling images or fine remarks.  The best that I can do here is the old trick of some newspaper political cartoonists: just show some text and make it look dire. 

I can't even watch the news, really.  This disaster is so heartbreaking and unimaginable for me.  Pope Benedict had this to say:

“I appeal to the generosity of all people so that these our brothers and sisters who are experiencing a moment of need and suffering may not lack our concrete solidarity and the effective support of the international community.”

My wife and I will send what we can afford to the Red Cross.  There are other fine agencies as well, and the Canadian Government pledges to match all donations made to registered aid societies.  I urge my friends to donate as they can.   

The image above was created using public-domain photography and artwork.