Tuesday, July 31, 2012

630 - The Laid-Back Olympics


Two years ago and change, the Olympics was a very big deal for JSVB.  My blog was just starting out, and I was eager to revive my stunted art skills by drawing and painting as much as I could.  The Olympics provided a great deal of excellent source material to explore.  Even better, the 2010 Olympics were staged in my home town, which lead to a number of concurrent once-in-a-lifetime cultural experiences, all greatly treasured.

The 2012 Olympics are in a far-off land, London, with a much different culture and approach to the games.  Even the time zone difference creates the sense of great distance.   These games seem best experienced through the television screen, at least for my wife and I.  It's not nearly as exhilarating as attending the Olympics in person, but it's not as expensive and exhausting, either. 

Hopefully, more Olympic posts will follow on JSVB, but likely not with the sense of being there that we had back in 2010.