Wednesday, August 1, 2012

631 - Chickens Of Olympus


I've just been asked how in my previous JSVB post, there are chickens sitting on the couch watching television.  My reply is, why shouldn't there be chickens on the couch?

I know I have mentioned them before, the two chicken brothers.  My wife and I bought them from a small-town hardware store that had a shelf of toys: these two stuffed birds were the last items left for sale.  We were planning to send them to charity for Christmas.  They sat around our apartment, waiting to be gift-wrapped, but somehow we ended up keeping them for ourselves.  They've got these perfect open-mouthed facial expressions that give them a look of perpetual slack-jawed amazement.  So we sit them in front of the TV, and they watch everything we watch.

Over time, we've taken to decorating them with sports jerseys and Olympic medals.  You can see the poultry-influenced design in their gold for the Summer Games.

They've even been lauded by world-famous cartoonist Doug Savage, who admits to having a chicken brother of his own on his drawing desk somewhere.  Please click here to cross that road to see the chickens.