Tuesday, March 13, 2012

555 - "Day Of The Iguana"


JSVB Post #555 happens to fall on the thirteenth of the month, and every thirteenth of the month is by tradition Ungood Art Day. 

Lately, my Ungood Art has been a showcase of how I've been staying within my artistic comfort zone.  That's probably disappointing to those who want the bombastic sequel to the "Bad News Bear" or "Grey Venus Rising"  (click here and/or here if you feel you have to see either piece).  By colouring mostly within the lines, I've been creating pieces I feel are predictable yet competent.  Or worse, I've just been complacent. 

This photograph represents the entire body of sketchwork I did on vacation to Mexico, with the exception of "Cien Pesos, Por Favor", which was last month's Ungood Art (click here to see it), where I as a tourist I sat on the beach and painted rocks for Mexicans. 

Still on the same beach, I sketched the form of an iguana we had seen the other day.  The beast was easily as big as my leg.  It turns out that giant iguanas are common to Puerto Vallarta. 

"Night Of The Iguana" (1964) was a famous motion picture filmed in the region, starring Richard Burton and Eva Gardner.  The wealthy "Gringo Gulch" of Puerto Vallarta likely owes its popularity to the fabulous twin mansions that were purpose-built for the star and his mistress Elizabeth Taylor as lodging during filming.  Later, other mansions and villas cropped up to surround those of the Hollywood lovebirds, and the wealthy tourist trade for Puerto Vallarta was born, or at least so the story goes. 

I digress.  For the sake of completion, here is the final sketch photographed some time before it was swallowed by the ocean tide: