Tuesday, September 13, 2011

446 - "Grey Venus Rising"


Hello and welcome once again to Ungood Art Day on JSVB, traditionally the 13th of every month.  This also happens to be my thirteenth ungood Art presentation, for which I've prepared a doozy.

Today, I present to you the grandiosely titled "Grey Venus Rising". 

What I recall of the construction of this piece was that some years ago I had the opportunity to work with modelling clay and a nude model.  I remember thinking that the model's poses were far too benign for an artist of my calibre, so I set to the task of improving them in my sculpture.   Although Grey Venus has a certain abstract charm, she also has certain abstract proportions, musculature, and facial features that put her closer to the "I made an ashtray in art class" node of the clay-modelling axis, and farther from, say, the "I successfully emulated the Venus de Milo" node. 

My normal disclaimer for nude art stands:  in no way does this work represent anybody that I know by name, and that the model was anonymous. 

Another disclaimer: watch out next month, because Venus has a sister!  I'll show her then, unless I happen to make a bigger art blunder in the next four weeks.