Monday, May 23, 2011

374 - The Jesus Incident


Today, I had to think fast to come up with an entry: I loaned away the Mary icon for a week to prepare her for more gilding, and so I will not be able to scan her. 

This icon was not painted by me, but I did photograph it, or more precisely, them.  These are the icons the rest of my class have been writing, all of them Jesus Pankrator, which translates very loosely to Lord Jesus Christ.  Although each artist follows the Byzantine form, individual style creates subtle differences.  Using a similar technique to HDR photography, I created a tone map by layering all of the paintings into one photograph, thereby "averaging" them out. 

Thanks to Steve, Tim, Lou-Anne, Sashi, Richard, and Cecilia for providing their paintings! 

The JSVB post title "The Jesus Incident" is taken from the title of the influential science-fiction novel of the same name, released in 1979 by Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom.

If you want an explanation of HDR, please see JSVB post #373 by clicking here.