Sunday, May 22, 2011

373 - Strong With The Dark Side

I may have walked past this tree a hundred times in our forest.  I have no idea why I have never taken notice of it until now.


I saw the opportunity to try an HDR photograph.  HDR stands for High Dynamic Range.  The idea is that the photo will employ a complete, balanced set of values ranging from pure black to pure white.  Traditional photography usually does not portray a full gamut of values, due to limitations of the camera and the visual medium (i.e. a photo print).  Until recently, the artist had to post-process the photograph to achieve a high dynamic range.  Masters like Ansel Adams used careful metering, exotic film and paper stock, and laborious darkroom technique to bring out a full gamut.  Now, there are cameras that process in HDR mode  automatically. 


I took this photo using semi-traditional means.  I got semi-traditional results, meaning that this is a poor example of what HDR can really do.  Shooting directly into the sky probably did not help. 

What I did was take three pictures of the same tree.  One picture was on a normal aperture, one had the aperture make the picture too dark, and the last was overexposed.  I used Photoshop to superimpose the pictures and create a tone map.  More recent versions of Photoshop can do this automatically, but my Photoshop is too primitive.  Besides, I wanted to create HDR manually. 

I wish I had brought my tripod, or at least used the camera's "bracket" mode, which would have created the shots in quick succession.  Small jiggles in the camera created problems when I superimposed the images.  Although the tree in the middle looked correct, the trees in the background looked blurry from multiple exposures.  Carefully, I erased as many of the mistakes as I could.  After all that, I realized I liked the blurry look as it gave the central tree some gravitas.  So, I re-created much of the blur. 

I think that in its formative years, this tree may have been infested with a fungus which caused it to grow cankers and twist its limbs.  The tree seems to have outgrown the infestation, since the tall trunk above seems healthy and normal.