Sunday, September 5, 2010

199 - Mac & Tease

Here's a treat to get you in the mood for my next post, the much-awaited 200th JSVB Post Extravaganza.  Think of it as 200 Post Eve.  


Here's a picture of what I would consider my ultimate comfort food: homemade macaroni and cheese.  You eat it straight from the bowl using a wooden spoon.  It just does not get any better than that for me.

The "tease" part in the mac-and-tease is that I cannot share the recipe online.  The reason is that the recipe is not my own.  It's Beecher's famous "World's Best Mac And Cheese" recipe, familiar to the residents of Seattle, Washington as well as Seattlephiles everywhere.  However, I've made some modifications.  For one thing, I think Beecher's chronically overcooks their pasta.  I use a more robust noodle and a slightly different combination of cheeses, spices, and other secrets.  It's pretty darned good.

A trip to Beecher's is an education on how to shop for healthy cheese.  It's disgusting how much cheese in supermarkets contains bovine growth hormone, artificial preservatives, and other nasty surprises. 

So a big bowl of high quality cheesy noodles are in order.  I have been slaving away on the 200th entry, and it's nearly complete.  What an aggravating experience, though.  I pushed my computer to its maximum performance.  It continuously stalled, crashed, corrupted, and mangled my files.  Equipment  broke down, memory failed, and bugs kept creeping into the workflow.  Error messages prompted all kinds of midnight work-arounds.  It got to the point where laying down one single line would cost me half an hour at a time.  If nobody ever gets interested enough to buy the thing, I'm going to have to search the very corners of my soul to scrounge enough motivation to do another.  Maybe the next one, I'll just charge twice my rate.