Friday, July 23, 2010

163 - Study of Satine


To create the Red-Haired Temptress image from yesterday's post (please click here to see her), I used the 2001 movie "Moulin Rouge!" as a reference.  I used the "Satine" character from the show and changed details to make her look more like my wife.

Above is the reference drawing I made of Satine.  Her pose is a bit guarded and pensive, perhaps because the character has completely sold herself to the production of her show, or perhaps because the actress is afraid of falling off of the swing.  Either way, in the final drawing, I opened up the pose and changed the look of the face.  I also played with changing the pose of the legs, but in the final drawing, I goofed up the proportions which to me look correct in this sketch.  I ended up blotting out the legs in the end.