Monday, April 26, 2010

103 - Spirit of the Spirit

                               


Travelling to United States for a day trip, I finally got out to the famous Seattle Museum Of Flight.  It's a fascinating venue, and well worth a long visit. 

Pictured is not the celebrated "Spirit of St. Louis", but rather a Ryan M-1, which is a very close relative of Charles Lindbergh's custom-made aircraft.  Lindburgh's Ryan NYP was based on the Ryan M-2, which in turn was an M-1 with an advanced engine.  "NYP" stands for "New York to Paris".  The NYP version was modified for to carry the pilot Lindbergh across the Atlantic Ocean.  The M-series aircraft were largely designed to carry mail or a couple of passengers.

The aircraft pictured here is the original prototype of the M-1.  I am told it is still flyable!  I had used some fair-use photographs of this aircraft as visual references for my Ryan NYP art.  (See the Ryan NYP by clicking here.).  I am pleased now to have my own photos of this lovely plane.