Thursday, October 26, 2017

1424 - Princess Hamster Castle I


I've begun a new art project.  Some time ago, I found a large balsa-wood castle at Michael's (the Canadian craft store - did you know that 18% of Canadians make crafts? Every fifth Canadian you meet is crafty!).  The castle is a perfect fit in our hamster cage, and our hamster Zhora loves it.  You can see how she's chewed on the upper left battlement.  The castle is intended for dolls, but it's also a good scale for pet rodents.  There is a tiny and unnecessary magnet that needs to be removed from the drawbridge before the castle can be given to little ones.

I've been working on the underpainting. I should have primed the wood a lot more, since the paint soaks right in.  Also, I am using cheap student-grade water-based pigments.  I've always said that cheap art supplies makes for cheap art, and this project is no different.  The pigments easily separate from the watery filler, casing the ochre and white to combine in an eldritch shade of lilac.