Monday, October 16, 2017

1418 - Archangel Gabriel III


I've been labelling this as Gabriel, but I might be making another Michael. Visual descriptions of angels tend to be nebulous as compared to how one would describe their mother-in-law for example.  Wings, robes, and haloes.  

Michael gets a speaking part in the Holy Bible: "May the Lord rebuke you," he says to Satan.  In Jewish scripture, Michael and Satan fight over the body of Moses.  Jude recounts this dispute in the Christian Bible.  Later, in Revelations, Michael skewers Satan with his sword, so sometimes this archangel is depicted with a blooded weapon.   Gabriel I suppose is coequal to Michael, only Gabriel has more lines to speak ("Hail Mary...") and less violence.

Michael and Gabriel could be androgynous, as there are male and female versions for both.  (The lightbulb illuminates now vis. Star Trek characters).  My version is so ambivalent, I might even make it Michael at the end.