Tuesday, January 13, 2015

1062 - "The Best In The West"

The thirteenth day of every month, I showcase a piece of Ungood Art I have created.  Usually, the things I show are the product of some horrible mistake I made in the production process.  A few choice efforts were the result of thinking that I was onto something profound which in the end simply turned out to be absurd.  In the final cases, I create art that is specifically intended to be Ungood, and today's JSVB entry is the poster child for that.

Literally, it's a poster.  Much earlier in the year, I lost a bet when the BC Lions fell to the Edmonton Eskimos for the second time in the 2014 CFL season.  This time around, I had to make a poster which shows exactly which team is the Best In The West, and I had to photograph myself posing with this poster in front of the sign that welcomes visitors to my town.  

So, here is the photograph:


It took a lot of effort to get to this point.  Let's just say that I was not happy with the Lions and leave it at that.  I should show my loyal JSVB readers what the poster looks like, though:

As you can see, the layout turned out quite well.  I used a number of elements from Edmonton Eskimos press materials as my source.  The colours are a little off, though, but that was not the fault of the printer.  Let's take a closer look at the artwork (enhance, enhance):


If you look closely, there are  colour bands that run diagonally across the image, making it look somewhat pixellated.  Can we zoom in again to see the granular detail of the print (enhance, enhance)? 


There we have it: BC LIONS!  At the microscopic level, the words BC LIONS create pixels that fill the entire image, answering definitively the question: Which Team Is The Best In The West?   Well, of course, the Lions weren't the best in terms of wins, they stank last season.  But Grey Cup 2014 was a lot of fun, and obviously the Lions are champions in our hearts, right? 

Please click here to see the result of the previous bet I lost on the Lions in JSVB Post #983, and how I turned their loss into a personal victory over Eskimo pride.