Sunday, November 16, 2014

1036 - Kirby-esque Sylvia In Colour!


This is the third and last pass at turning my friend Sylvia into a comic-book character in the style of Jack Kirby.  What seals the deal are the "Kirby Krackles", which are the dots in the background that define a supernatural negative space.  Master draughtsman Kirby would have rendered these by hand: I was lazy and created a custom pen in Painter that more or less emulates his technique.  

It's been a long, long time since I've tried to draw Sylvia.  Probably the last would have been their wedding portrait.  From way back in 2010, please check out JSVB Post #180 "A New Wedding Hope" by clicking here.

Oddly enough, this version of Sylvia is seen as if I were Jack Kirby.  The 2010 version, I drew her as if by The Brothers Hildebrandt.  Someday, I should do a portrait of her in my own style.