Thursday, September 5, 2013

836 - Blocking The Lounge



I've started blocking in colours for the lounge.  Normally, this is a simple, crucial step for digital painting.  Every colour element gets its own layer.  For example, Kirk's tunic gets its own layer, so does Rand's dress, the table, the red supports, the bottle of Saurian brandy, and so on.  The colours are blocked in solid.  Since I did all the tone work earlier, all I have to do is set each layer to Multiply, and the tone shades show through the transparent paint.  If I need to make a selection of a painted area, let's say to throw in a gradient or to make a frisket, then all I have to do is select the colour on the layer I want to work with. 
 
It's monkey work  which requires a higher level of organization and a large  number of layers.  The payoff is greater flexibility in choosing selections and colours. 
 
I am experimenting with a new technique for applying colour, which is why the picture has a neutral buff-brown cast to it.  Hopefully, I will be able to produce a "vignette" effect something like out of a Norman Rockwell painting.  Right now the brown mutes most of the colours, but it also makes them look richer, especially the reds.  I don't know if the effect will work, so this is a gamble.  I've already had a few false starts (which I haven't bothered to post here  on JSVB), and I am fairly unsure that the hours I have put into this will ultimately pay off.  Lately, I had a musical encouragement, so I am holding onto that as a good luck charm.