Tuesday, July 23, 2013

814 - "Chewie"

 
The mighty Chewbacca, as rendered by me.  If you think you know where I am going with this project, you'd likely be around 75% wrong.
 
Chewbacca is very difficult to draw.  Even so, a quick search of the Internet shows up a great deal of Chewie artwork, much of it incredibly good.  I suppose artists see the big Wookiee as a challenge.  Some of the works surpass the movies, making Chewbacca seem more alive than he was in Star Wars (1977), and that's an achievement by my reckoning. 
 
Someday, when I learn more about rendering hair and fur, I'd like to take another try at Chewbacca.  For now, this will do.  If the pose looks familiar, it's because I traced off of Frame 352 of the famous Patterson-Gimlin Sasquatch film, and then drew Chewie over that. 
 
Chewbacca is the intellectual property of - wait for it - the Walt Disney Corporation.  What a world!