Friday, June 7, 2013

795 - Ukulele Girl III


I've added a substantial amount to my ukulele girl picture.  Today's efforts took their toll.  I had to deal with computer failure and a number of household crises.  The outside world was relentless with demands.  After all that, I managed to get a few hours alone with this girl, but she resisted everything I tried with her.  Sometimes art can be a real drag. 
 
Continued glazing shifted nearly every guideline I had laid down, so although her very basic shape is there, I'll have to repaint many of her lines.  Her facial features are still placeholders, although they are detailed enough to stand for now.  Her hair was manipulated many times. 
 
In the end, I did what I vowed not to do, and I ran her through Photoshop.  I wanted to achieve my illustration effects through painterly means, but many of my early choices in this piece proved  to be troublesome.  While I could grind it out through hours of glazing and repainting, I gave up and decided to shift the palette using Photoshop's hue command, which lightened and warmed the skin tone on the girl.  I also used Photohop to rearrange some of the girl's body proportions.  A few minutes in Photoshop skips over at least a dozen hours of corrective work with Painter.  It makes me feel a bit cheap, but progress is being made.