Thursday, February 14, 2013

737 - Hearts Of Mylar


 
For someone, this Valentine's Day was left up in the air.  A couple of days ago on one of my walks, I saw a mylar heart-shaped balloon stuck near the top of a hundred foot tree.  It occurred to me that here was an example of good intentions foiled by lousy execution.  If the recipient of the present wanted to see their goods, I guess all they could do was look up.
 
I wanted to take a picture of the scene, but I wasn't carrying my camera.  A storm was on its way, so I am certain the balloon would be gone by now.  Instead, I re-created the image in Photoshop.  Despite that I already have many pictures of trees in my hard drive, I elected to use this photo by Simon Sen as the background.  The balloons are ones I picked out from a catalogue and pasted into the image.  I figure two balloons are more romantic than one, although two balloons also create more mylar litter.  Virtual balloons are a little greener.
 
Later on, I discovered that heart-shaped balloons stuck in trees is a fairly common image on the Internet.  People will take pictures of anything, as long as it relates to a holiday.