Thursday, May 31, 2012

592 - Sophie Sketch



An office job would be the death of me.  I don't much care for office people as a rule, and I seldom do well at meetings.  Yesterday, I needed to attend a meeting.  I was surprised that my opinion was required.  Most meetings I go to, I am expected to just sit there and be a warm body.  That way, the functionary that called the meeting can feel good about having the power to draw all the staff into one room for a time. 

After I said my piece, the rest of the meeting had nothing to do with me, and held none of my interest.  Typically, I sit at the back and pretend to make notes.  The handouts had wide margins, so I felt invited to sketch to at least keep my hand warm, and to fill the blank space. 

This is the HMS Sophie attacking her nemesis, Cacafuego, on the high seas.  It's unusual for a ship of Sophie's petite stature to have a quarterdeck gallery, but the Sophie was a special ship.  The Cacafuego is a Spanish xebec, a long, lean tall ship with massive triangular lateen sails common to the Mediterranean Sea. 

Read more about these two splendid fighting ships in Patrick O'Brien's peerless novel  "Master And Commander" (1969)!