Sunday, May 13, 2012

580 - Jeff Wears A Panda Hat



Mothers' Day falls on the 13th of this month, which is also traditionally Ungood Art Day on JSVB.  Sorry Mom (who was quite an artist herself), but Ungood Art trumps a greeting card holiday this year, at least on my website. 

Today's piece depicts an anime-ish version of myself wearing a panda hat.   I've already got a couple of posts with panda hats on JSVB.  Click here and here to see them.  I think panda hats are pretty funny.  So did Ben Stiller in "Tropic Thunder" (2008).  Panda hats are popular in San Francisco on account of their 5'11" 237 pound infielder Pablo "Kung-Fu Panda" Sandoval.  I believe the first popular panda hat belonged to J.M. Barrie's Lost Boy "Tootles" from his Peter Pan series of books, circa the early 1900's.  Despite perhaps over a century of laughs and entertainment to be gained from panda hats, I definitely do not want to wear one myself. 

This picture is taken almost directly from the label of a Chinese beverage my wife bought.  I was surprised to see a reasonable likeness of myself on the packaging, with the panda hat.  I sketched the image with the thought of presenting it for Ungood Art Day.   The nature of Asian industry being what it is, I predict that by the end of this century there will be for each person in North America an Eastern product label that depicts them much like Mr. Sparkle who banishes dirt to the land of wind and ghosts.