Thursday, January 13, 2011

286 - EAMSA #6

EAMSA stands for "Earl's Mad Science Adventures".  It was a comic strip written and produced by my friend Earl, about himself.  I drew one episode as a guest artist, all the rest are by the talented Michael Gushue. 



So, for anybody tuning in late, every thirteenth of the month is designated as "Ungood Art Day" on JSVB, where I try to showcase some of my more dubious stuff.  Any artist will tell you that most of the stuff they do is not all that great (I like the term "Ungood"), and although I show a lot of mediocre art on JSVB (such as yesterday's bit, please click here if you want to see that), there's a sub-set of my ungood art that is at least a bit entertaining on its own terms.  If I had gone to art school sooner in my career, all the faces on this strip wouldn't be melting like hot butter every time a character changes poses. 

I drew this years and years ago, not long after I did a Star Trek piece for Earl (please click here to see what I mean).  In fact, I see now that I re-used Earl in  a Trekkie uniform in the front right row of the audience.  Strangely, Earl and his wife Sylvia also seem to appear left front row of the audience as they look now.  Coincidence. 

I should also mention that a lot of my work seem to be based on Earl.  EAMSA is the story of Earl, but please be aware that in no way should Earl be considered so egotistical as to demand multiple biographies.  He's just very interesting as a person, and someone who is fond of bad puns.

Lastly, I suppose I should thank Earl, who archived EAMSA #6, who made excellent scans of my drawings, and who provided them very kindly in time for Ungood Art Day.