Monday, October 4, 2010

220 - The "Elvis Pizza"


This is a picture of an actual "Elvis Pizza".  Reportedly, this was Elvis Presley's favourite food, and The King willing, it's one of mine, too. 

The recipe is simple: make or take an ordinary American-style cheese pizza and top it with BBQ pulled pork (although I like mushrooms, too).   There's nothing to it! 

Of course, there's caveats:  1) It's nothing like an authentic Italian pizza.  This is a very American dish.  It's probably mostly unhealthy for you.  2) Most pizza joints don't serve pulled pork.  You'll either have to barbecue it yourself, or get it from a good BBQ restaurant.  I use pulled pork that's left over from a previous meal, as there is always more than enough.  2a) BBQ pulled pork, or slow-cooked in a crock pot?  Both have their advantages and disadvantages.  BBQ pork can be wood-smoked, but you need a heavy salt crust to help retain moisture.  Slow-cooked pork needs much less salt, but you need a smoky barbecue sauce to finish it.  3) This is definitely not my idea or recipe.  I made my pizza based on the Elvis Pizza from Vancouver's famous Memphis Blues restaurant, and they got theirs presumably from Graceland. 

Say what you will, I've got a hunka hunka burnin' love for this pie!  Thank you, thank you very much.  The Elvis Pizza has left the building. 

I lifted the Elvis image from a previous JSVB post here.  I have another Elvis post here as well.