Friday, August 27, 2010

193 - Inkscape Pose


Now I have in my sketchbook a girl pose I am halfway satisfied with.  I wanted to give the pose more torsion without having to redraw the image.  Yes, the latest incarnation of Photoshop would let me do that, and no, I cannot afford that application. 

So I converted the image into a vector file using Inkscape, thinking I could try that. (Insert your favourite Star Trek/Brannon Braga "If we ran the sample through the pattern buffer, then we could use the image stabilizer, and maybe we could try applying the vector nodes to enhance the file" -style technobabble.  Honestly, though, the problem-solving aspect of graphic art runs a lot like that if you plan to shoehorn too many divergent computer programs into your workflow.  

Inkscape had a difficult time picking out my blue pencil, though, which resulted in the above image.  I think it reminds me of an unrefined woodcut.

Like taking a photocopy of a photocopy and jiggling the paper while the scanner runs (try it sometime!), shifting between vector and raster files can create some interesting artefacts.  The image looks suitably artsy for JSVB.  Instead of artistic intent, it's more of a technological stumble.  No matter, as long as it looks decent.