Thursday, August 12, 2010

182 - "Perseid's Common Matter"


Today's JSVB post is a representation of the events of last night: my wife and I lay down together beneath the clear and starry sky to watch the Perseid meteor shower.  Today's JSVB title is what you get with an online rhyming dictionary using "Persis Khambatta", my obscure Star Trek reference for a uniquely active evening sky. 

Although we have a fair amount of suburban light pollution at night, our back yard was dark enough for us to spot several streaming meteors and even the distant dot of a satellite as it clocked along its skyflung arc of orbital space.  Tonight, the meteors will continue after I post this JSVB entry.  Like an extra castmember from  Steven Spielberg's Close Encounters movie, I will again camp out beneath the galaxy, and gaze at the sky in awe and wonder.