Friday, December 2, 2011

500 - "CMO"

Welcome to my five hundredth post to JSVB!  My intention with the numbering was to provide an easy way to catalogue images.  You need a picture of a horse, check out post #4.  You need a hamster?  Try #177, #413, or #480.  Numbering the posts also leads to keeping track of how hard I am working on JSVB, and it provides some milestones.  I try to come up with something cultural and interesting every hundred posts. 




This is a picture of Port Coquitlam's CMO, or Coast Meridian Overpass.  It's a unique bridge in several ways: it was almost entirely paid for out of civic funds (as opposed to provincial or federal money), it completely crosses the second-largest trainyard on Canada's west coast, and it's the longest central-support suspension bridge in North America.  It's also the single largest public-works expenditure ever for Port Coquitlam. 

I got some decent use out of this picture, as it was displayed in a flyer that was distributed to every household in the City.  The mailer folded out into a long flyer, which is why this picture is unusually long and thin. 

Please click here to see JSVB Post #471, which shows my original sketch work-up for this piece.  I did not think back then I would be able to get the permissions I require to show the final image, but as it turns out I was in the clear all along.  I am pleased to present the final image to you for Post #500. 

Please click here and here to see a couple of photos I took of the CMO.