Tuesday, November 29, 2011

497 - Woods Hole Kids


My "Woods Hole" illustration is somewhat unique in that it is a completely digital artwork.  I took a digital photograph, played around with the colour and composition, and then digitally drew and painted  characters over top. 

Digital artwork saves a lot of time in preparation and execution.  I don't have to worry about fumes or solvents or waiting for paint to dry.  I can also compose or break apart any image into its component elements. 

Here, I have created a drawing layer for the characters.  I used it as a reference for the painting, and then hid the layer. These are sketches of the children, a boy playing cowboy and a girl serving tea to her teddy bear.  I drew them directly into the computer with a stylus, which accounts for the loose lines. 

Click here to see the complete "Woods Hole" image.