Friday, January 22, 2010

22 - Dancing With The Inkspots


Not long ago, I did something for the first time ever in my career.  I spilled a bottle of indelible ink.  Wow, what a mess.  Those bottles are not supposed to be easy to spill, as they usually have a wide bottom and a narrow top. 

Spilled ink spreads like fire.  I dumped enough ink to cover a large saucer.  I did a little swear-word dance, thinking, "What the yes please, thank you very much am I going to do now?"  Even as I was staring at the mess, black ink was soaking into all kinds of stuff I had around me. 

Then, I had a flash of genius.  Instead of "What am I going to do?", I thought "What would the wife do?"

I armed myself with plenty of hot water and dish soap.  I used careful blotting motions to soak up the liquid ink, not scrubbing.  I rinsed out stuff with detergent and water.  Hitting the sopping stains with Spray 'N' Wash caused the ink to scatter into a galaxy of tiny black droplets that misted all over everything.  Blotting is the key! 

Now I defy my wife to ever find out where I spilled that ink.  I expect I will have a quiet interlude from now until she reads my blog up to this point.  Should be interesting to see exactly how long that will take, and which of my parts will survive the aftermath.